15 Jan 2023
6pm - 9.30pm
13, 15 Teo Hong Road
What will you get
1 x Slot for Origami Throwdown 2023
1 x Origami Air (Color will be randomly given)
We are looking for....
It doesn't matter who you are, a coffee professional or home brewer. We are looking for the tastiest cup, the best of the best.
We will find out.
*Competitiors who successfuly secured a slot will receive an email confirmation. Please present this email confirmation on the event day to enter.
Rules and Regulations:
Washed processed only. Any origin, any varietal are welcome and love.
How to win
Win the heart of the judges with your coffee. There will be zero calibration between the judges. They pick what they feel like it.
There will be 2 category, Home Brewers and Coffee Professionals*. Total of 18 competitors from each category.
The winner from each category will compete in the final round to determine the winner of the Origami Throwdown 2023.
*For coffee professionals, please state your company name at the remarks section upon check out. Max cap of 3 competitors from each company. Competitors who are coffee professional but choose to compete in the Home Brewers cateogry will have their slots revoked without refund.
- Competitor must use the following equipment & tools: ORIGAMI Air & any CAFEC filter paper.
- No practice time is given.
- Ground coffee and water are the only ingredients allowed.
- Competitors must prepare a minimum of 150ml of brewed coffee and to be served in the origami cupping bowl provided by Homeground.
- Coffees not presented within the time limit of 5 minutes will not be evaluated.
- Failure to comply with any of the above may result in disqualification.
- Please be considerate, before leaving the station ensure that its clean for the next competitor use.
- Grinder, water, kettle and server jug will be provided. There are limited equipment available. Competitors are encourage to their own equipment.
- For water, we will be using Aquacode between 65-75ppm
- If competitor wish to use their own water, please bring extra water.
- The competition is a multi-round, elimination tournament.
- In each round, three competitors from the respective team brew coffee simultaneously.
- Competitors have 5 minutes each in which to prepare, brew, and present their coffee.
- Competitors can grind, sort and prepare their set up within the 5 minutes preparation time but there should be no contact between the ground and water.
- Extraction can only begin when the 5 minutes brewing time begin.
- When the time is up, the coffees are presented in identical vessels to a panel of three judges.
- The judges blindly evaluate each coffee and make their own private assessment as to which is the best.
- The winner progresses to the next round. The losers are eliminated.
- Each round is judged blind using the cupping technique of spoon, slurp, and spit.
- Competitor's name will be marked on the underside of the cups where they are completely hidden.
- There is no scoresheet or formal judging criteria. Judges are simply answering: "Which cup would I prefer to drink of all?"
- Each judge will arrive at their own conclusion, without discussing the samples with their fellow judges.
- Within 2 minutes, all judges simultaneously point to their preferred coffee.
- On the count of three, all judges will point simultaneously, confidently, and definitively at the cupping of their choosing.
- After judging, the MC will lift the winning cup, revealing the name of the round winner.
- In the event of all three judges pointing at different cups, the MC or a pre-determined Head Judge will taste the coffees, and decide the round. This decision is final.